Remedial Massage as a Treatment for Chronic Pain
Chronic pain is a debilitating condition that affects millions of people around the world. It can result from various factors such as injury, illness, or underlying medical conditions. Chronic pain can manifest in different parts of the body, including the head, neck, and joints. Fortunately, there are several treatments available for chronic pain, and remedial massage is one of them. Remedial massage has been found to be effective in treating chronic pain, particularly as an adjunct with other treatments like acupuncture and hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
Headaches can be a result of tension in the neck and shoulders, which can cause pain and discomfort. Remedial massage can be used to reduce tension in the muscles, which in turn can reduce the frequency and severity of headaches. Remedial massage techniques such as active release therapy, trigger point therapy, and myofascial release can be used to release tension and restore the natural alignment of the head, neck, and shoulders.
Neck pain is another common type of chronic pain that can be treated using remedial massage. Neck pain can result from various factors such as poor posture, injury, or underlying medical conditions. Remedial massage can be used to reduce muscle tension, increase flexibility and improve circulation in the neck muscles. This, in turn, can reduce pain and discomfort in the neck area. Remedial massage techniques such as deep tissue massage and dry needling can be used to target specific areas of the neck and relieve tension.
Joint pain affects any joint in the body, including but not limited to the wrists, knees, shoulders, and hips. Remedial massage can be used to reduce joint pain by improving circulation and increasing mobility in the affected area. Remedial massage can be used to reduce muscle tension around the affected joint and improve range of motion through careful passive and active movements.
At-Home Care Advice for Self Treatment
In addition to remedial massage, there are several at-home care advice that can be used to manage chronic pain:
- Exercise regularly and stretch: Regular exercise and stretching can help improve circulation, reduce muscle tension, and improve flexibility. This, in turn, can reduce chronic pain in various parts of the body.
- Apply heat or cold: Applying heat or cold to the affected area can help reduce pain and discomfort. Heat can help relax muscles and improve circulation, while cold in small doses helps as natural pain relief.
- Practice good posture: Poor posture can cause muscle tension and increase the risk of chronic pain. Practicing good posture can help reduce tension and improve alignment in the body.
- Practice relaxation techniques: Relaxation techniques such as meditation, deep breathing, and yoga can help reduce stress and tension in the body. The chronic pain and stress cycle is well documented, so by reducing stress we can positively impact our interpretation of pain.
- Maintain a healthy diet: A healthy diet that is rich in nutrients can help reduce inflammation in the body and improve overall health. This, in turn, can reduce chronic pain and improve overall well-being.
Remedial massage is an effective treatment for chronic pain, particularly in cases of headaches, neck pain, and joint pain. It can be used to reduce muscle tension, improve circulation, and increase flexibility in the affected area. Additionally, there are several at-home care advice that can be used to manage chronic pain, including regular exercise, heat or cold therapy, good posture, relaxation techniques, and a healthy diet. If you suffer from chronic pain, consider trying remedial massage as a treatment option and incorporating these at-home care advice into your daily routine.
Keen to learn more? Book and appointment with one of our experienced therapists now! Just click here