With welcoming Candice Land to the team this week, we wanted to write a post about what sports therapy can do for your low back pain and hip tightness. These are really common niggles that we encounter, particularly for our surfing friends. So, read on and if you’re keen to learn more – just drop us a line!
Sports therapy is a branch of allied healthcare that deals with the prevention, management, and rehabilitation of injuries sustained during sports activities. It focuses on the musculoskeletal system and aims to improve performance, relieve pain, and restore mobility. One common condition that we at GPT encounter is low back pain and hip tightness, which can be especially common in surfers and triathletes.
Low back pain is a common condition that affects people of all ages and lifestyles. It can be caused by many factors, including poor posture, muscle strains, and disc herniation to name a few. Tight hips can also cause an imbalance in the lower back, leading to pain and discomfort. Sports therapy can help in the treatment of low back pain and hip tightness by identifying the root cause of the problem and developing a tailored treatment plan to address it.
The first step in treating low back pain and hip tightness is a thorough assessment of the patient’s condition. We will evaluate your posture, range of motion, and strength to identify any imbalances or weaknesses. We will also assess your lifestyle and activity level to determine the cause of the low back pain and hip tightness.
Once the assessment is complete, we’ll develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs. This may include a combination of manual therapy, exercise therapy, and education on proper posture and body mechanics. Manual therapy techniques may include soft tissue massage, joint mobilisation, and spinal manipulation to relieve pain and improve mobility.
Exercise therapy is also an essential component of sports therapy for low back pain and hip tightness. We can develop an exercise program that is targeted at strengthening the muscles of the lower back and hips. These exercises may include stretches, core strengthening exercises, and functional movements that are specific to your sport. The goal is to improve mobility, flexibility, and stability of the lower back and hips to prevent further injury and relieve pain.
In addition to what we do, there are several other strategies that can help prevent and manage low back pain. These include:
- Maintaining a healthy weight: Excess weight puts extra pressure on the lower back and hips, leading to pain and discomfort. Maintaining a healthy weight through a balanced diet and regular exercise can help prevent low back pain and hip tightness.
- Practicing good posture: Proper posture can help reduce the strain on the lower back. It is essential to maintain good posture while sitting, standing, and walking.
- Regular exercise: Regular exercise can help strengthen your muscles, improving mobility and stability.
- Proper lifting techniques: Using proper lifting techniques can help reduce the risk of low back pain and hip tightness. It is essential to lift with the legs and not the back.
- Taking breaks: Taking breaks from prolonged sitting or standing can help prevent pain and tightness.
- Using supportive footwear: Wearing supportive footwear can help reduce the strain on the lower back, especially during exercise or extended periods of standing.
- Stretching: Regular stretching can help improve flexibility and mobility, reducing the risk of injury and pain.
Give the team at Global Performance Therapy a call today, or use our handy online booking tool to make an appointment with Donna or Candice. You can reach us on (02) 5613 6964 or click here for online bookings